Arabic ice cream in Baklava cups
Arabic ice cream (Booza arabeyeh) is a famous dessert that is filled with the taste of the middle eastern cuisine, a combination of some flavors like Ashta,mastic gum (mesteka), Salep powder and pistachios all in one can lead to a taste of heaven!
Booza is easy to make,if you have your ingredients around then give it a try! and you will not regret it! A smooth,elastic creamy ice cream texture with an amazing aroma that will make you ask for a second scoop ;)
I choose to serve my arabic ice cream in a baklava cups, giving it a new serving idea for this traditional dessert. I was inspired by an Egyptian food blogger called "Cleobuttera" , after loving her way in presenting her baklava ice cream sundae,they really look amazing :)
So now let's go for the recipe!
الوصفة باللغة العربية اضغط هنا
Arabic Ice Cream in Baklava cups
Ingredients for the ice cream :
3 cups whole milk
1 cup whipping cream
3/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons Salep powder sifted
1/2 teaspoon mastic gum powder
1 teaspoon rose water
170gm Ashta (thick table cream) Optional
For Baklava cups : recipe adabted from Cleobuttera
6 sheets of frozen Phyllo baklava dough, thawed
3 tablespoons butter,melted
2 cups of scented simple syrup
- In a medium pan mix well milk, whipping cream, sugar, using a a hand mixer tell sugar dissolves.
- Add in Salep powder and stir well to completely dissolve.
- Transfer the pan over a medium heat , using a spatula keep stirring tell mixture get thickened and become elastic in consistency. Don't let it boil.
- Turn heat off,add mastic gum and vanilla, stir .
- let cool at room temperature then add in Ashta and mix using electric mixer.
- Pour the mixture in an ice cream maker and run for 30 minutes.
- Place in an airtight container in the freezer for several hours or overnight .
To prepare Baklava cups :
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Brush a 12-cup muffin pan with softened butter and set aside.
- Place 1 phyllo baklava sheet on a working surface and cover the remaining sheets with a clean towel to prevent from drying, lightly brush the phyllo sheet evenly with melted butter. Top the buttered phyllo sheet with 1 more sheet and brush with the butter in the same way . Continue with the process of layering and brushing with the remaining 3 phyllo sheets. Top with the sixth sheet, but do not butter that one.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the phyllo stack into 12 equal squares and carefully fit a square of phyllo into each buttered muffin cup, creating a ruffled phyllo cup, then bake until the phyllo cups are crisp and deep golden in color. Immediately pour the cooled simple syrup on top of each hot phyllo cup. Allow the cups to soak the syrup and cool until slightly warm.
- Transfer baklava cups to a wire rack and let the baklava cups cool completely over the wire rack, allowing any excess syrup to drip off.
- To serve : Scoop Arabic ice cream into the cooled baklava cups, sprinkle some pistachios and Serve.
Bon Appétit :)