A New month,and and a new authentic dish from Arabic flavor group. This time recipe was from my beloved country Palestine," Yafawi Sfeeha,صفحية يافاوية" the name was derived from the city Yafa or Jaffa which was famous of these Palestinian beef pinwheels pastries :)
The beautiful Ruba Al Naji (host of the month) has shared her recipe with us, and am welling to thank her alot for her choice! as it was an amazing pastries that are full of flavor :) crispy from outside,but soft and tender from inside . My whole family enjoyed them with a hot cup of mint tea .
Recipe adapted from Arabic flavor
Palestinian Beef Pinwheels
For the dough:
– 3 cups all purpose flour
– 1/4 tsp baking powder
– 1 tsp salt
– 1 tsp sugar
– 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
– Lukewarm water as needed (around 1 – 1 1/2 cup)
For the Stuffing:
500 gm ground meat
1 Onion, finely chopped
1 tsp mixed spices
2 tbsp vegetable oil
Salt and pepper
– Mix flour, baking powder, salt and sugar all together.
– Add olive oil and mix with the tips of your fingers until well absorbed.
– Add water gradually until you get a soft and unsticky dough.
– Cut into balls, coat with oil.
– Cover and let it rest at least 1 hour.
Prepare the stuffing:
– Cook minced meat first and season with spices, salt and pepper.
– Add oil and onions and stir.
– Let it cool completely before stuffing the dough or it will break it and spill out.
– When dough is ready, roll one piece on a surface greased with an abundant amount of olive oil or corn oil, you can either use a rolling pin and stretch it gently with your well oiled hands, or just use your well oiled hands to punch down the dough until it becomes very thin that you can’t punch it further. Make a circular shape of your almost paper-thin sheet of dough!
– Cut the circle into two halves.
– Spread the stuffing along the straight side.
– Start rolling until you reach the other end then shape it into pinwheel and place it on an oiled baking pan.
– Repeat for all the quantity.
– Bake until golden and serve beside yogurt and arabic salad.