Caraway spice pudding/Meghli
Meghli is an authentic and traditional Middle eastern/Arabic sweet dish made from rice and caraway, anise and cinnamon. As a matter of Arab tradition, when a baby is born, the family holds a gathering where friends and family come over to visit the mother and new baby and Meghli or karawaya is served on this special occasion.
Caraway seeds are good for feeding mothers that is why it is made during this times,It’s been told that it’s so nutritious, energetic, and healthful for new mom, especially if she decides on breast-feeding her baby.
People specially like it during winters, like a warm rice pudding in cold days! Karawya or Meghli is gluten free, and dairy free too! but above all it is comforting treat that is full of warm spicy flavors!
الوصفة باللغه العربية اضغط هنا
Caraway spiced rice pudding/Meghli
1 cup rice flour
3/4 cup sugar
2 Tbsp Caraway powdered
1tsp. Cinnamon powder
1/2 tsp. anise powdered
1/2 tsp. fennel seeds powdered (optional)
7 cups water
For garnish : mixed nuts according to desire, Slivered almonds, ground walnuts, ground pistachios,coconut flakes.
- In a deep pan add rice flour, sugar, caraway ,cinnamon,fennel,and anise.stir to combine ,then pour in water and mix well using hand whisker.
- Place over medium, and stir until the caraway pudding comes to a boil. The mixture will thicken gradually, and it will take around 20 minutes to thicken.
- Make sure you stir continuously and scrape the bottom of the pot to prevent the pudding from burning. The secret is the medium heat and constant stirring .At the end pudding should coat the back of a spoon.
- Remove pudding from heat and divide into serving cups and let cool completely on room temperature.
- Garnish with mixed nuts and serve either warm or cold.
Bon Appétit :)