Chicken livers with pomegranate molasses
Chicken liver has a strong flavor that may take a little getting used to. But, you’ll never know until you try. If you’re feeling adventurous and enjoy minerally, earthy flavors, give liver a try. The pomegranate molasses gives a sweet flavor to counterbalance the minerality of the liver taste.
In Lebanon it is called "Sawda Djej" a dish of chicken livers, fried with handfuls of garlic, and finished with sticky-sour pomegranate molasses.
I came across this recipe for chicken liver with pomegranate molasses on a Palestinian friend chief Facebook Page Samar's Kitchen , and it was an amazing recipe perfect for chicken liver lovers of the world!
The liver just needs a quick sear in a hot pan, When overcooked, liver takes on an unpleasant, chalky texture.
Chicken Liver with Pomegranate Molasses
250 gm chicken livers
2 Tablespoons Olive oil
1 small Onion cut into slivers.
3 large garlic cloves, minced.
1 teaspoon Summac powder
Salt and black pepper as desire
1 green bell pepper cut into thin slices
juice of a lemon
1/2 cup of good quality Pomegranate Molasses.
For cooking chicken liver you will need :
1 liter warm water +1 teaspoon white vinegar +1 tablespoon cumin + 1 teaspoon mix spices powder+1 Cinnamon stick .
Some fresh pomegranate seeds , and chopped fresh parsley leaves for garnish.
- With paper towel, pat the chicken livers to remove excess moisture.
- Cook chicken liver in warm water with all spices mentioned above and vinegar on medium heat , let it boil for 1/2 minute then turn heat off , drain from water and transfer to a separate plate,and keep a side .
- Heat a large skillet over high heat. When hot, add the olive oil, onion and garlic and stir for a minute.
- Add chicken liver , Summac ,salt and black pepper. Stir for a minute.
- Add green bell pepper,lemon juice and pomegranate molasses and stir on high heat for 2 minutes. turn heat of and transfer to a serving plate.
- Garnish with parsley and pomegranate seeds and serve with pita bread.
Bon Appétit :)