"Hijazi Alexandrian,Dahdah" Stuffed Semolina bars
Dahdah in Levant region, Hijazi Alexandrian in Egypt are the two names of the same delicious traditional food street dessert that is mainly consists of 2 layers of semolina and between them is a filling of nuts,coconut, mixed with semolina and flavored with cinnamon.
It is the date of Arabic flavor post of the month! and the recipe of Hijazi Alexandrian dessert was the choice of the beautiful Egyptian Maisa Abed Alsalam (the host of the month) in Arabic group, who has shared her recipe in the group and gave us the chance to try it and i was excited to do so, because from the ingredients it seems very tasty! and yes it was! :) This dessert has a very delicious flavor and an aromatic smell thats makes it very popular and one of the most famous oriental sweets in the region . I hope you enjoy preparing it.
This was my entry for Hijazi/dahdah and I have to thank Maisa for this amazing traditional dish.
Now i'll leave you with the full recipe,
"Hijazi Alexandrian" / "Dahdah"
Dough ingredients :
2 cups white flour
2 cups semolina
1/2 cup ghee
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 Tsp sugar
1 Tsp dry active yeast+ 1 tsp sugar Pinch of salt Lukewarm water or milk.
1 cup semolina
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup of ground nuts ( or peanuts as preferred )
1/4 cup of water
2 Tsp cinnamon
Note: you can remove nuts completely from the recipe and replace it with 1/2 cup of semolina as I did .
- mix the yeast with the sugar and 1/4 cup of warm water, cover and let it activate and rise .
- Mix white flour with semolina , sugar and salt .
- Melt the ghee and add it to the flour mix .
Mix with your fingertips until all the ghee is absorbed.
- Add the yeast mixture then the water and start to knead until you have a dough similar to Ma'moul's one ( dates biscuits ) .
- Cover and let it rest in a warm place for 1 hour .
- To prepare the stuffing:
add all ingredients then add the water gradually using a spoon , mix until you have a mixture that is similar to wet sand .
- After the dough has completely rest, divide the quantity into two halves , one of them is a little bit bigger than the other.
- Bring one a flat tray with low edges, cover all areas with a wipe of ghee .
- Take the bigger half , spread in the baking tray equally , taking the edges up a little .
- Spread the stuffing all over equally .
- Using a sheet of parchment paper , spread the second half on it until flat and enough to cover the stuffing .
- Flip over the baking tray , fix it until it covers the stuffing from all sides.
- Decorate the top with the back of the fork , cut and leave to rise for half an extra half of hour.
- Bake in a 180 degrees oven until the edges and top start to golden .
- Let it cool down then recut again on the same cut .
- Serve with tea
Bon appetite :)
#Dahdah #arabicflavor #semolina #bars #arabicdesserts #food #traditionalrecipe