Mujadara is one of my family favourite dishes. In particular, "Mujadara with bulgur! "Lentil And Bulgur Pilaf" in English, which is traditionally savored with caramelized onions and accompanied by plain yogurt or Arabic salad and pickles!
The traditional way to prepare mujaddara will be with rice in levantine region however, sometimes bulgur is used instead of the rice making this a very earthy and rustic dish.
It is spiced with cumin and the sweetness of caramelized onions offset the earthy flavors of the lentils and bulgur.
This healthy vegan meal substitutes animal protein with plant protein coming from brown lentils and Bulgur :) Mujaddara, the famous vegetarian dish in the middle east contains no meat, and very cheap ingredients but on the other hand,is condsidered a respectful rich dish! we say "Mujaddara akleh ma'adara" in arabic :)
An economical, filling, and comforting pilaf, very easy to prepare, and you will be
pleased after every spoonful! :)
Now,will leave you with the recipe,
Mujaddara Burgul,"Lentil And Bulgur Pilaf"
1 cup dried brown lentils
2 cups white coarse bulgur washed and drained well.
2 large onions, thinly sliced
2 tsp. cumin powder
1/2 black pepper
salt as desired
4 cups boiling water to cook Bulgur with.
1/4 cup olive oil to fry onions
1/4 cup olive oil to cook mujaddara with.
- Place the lentils, 1 teaspoon cumin and enough water in a pot and cook them for about 20 minutes over medium heat, so lentils are soft but not mushy.remove from heat and drain well ,then keep aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a shallow pan and then add the onions. Reduce heat to low and let the onions slowly caramelize while stirring them every now and then.Take them out of the pan with a slotted spoon and drain on some kitchen paper. Take some and keep aside for garnish in a separate plate.
- In a medium pot, over medium heat add 1/4 cup olive oil, cooked lentils,fried caramelized onions (but remember to keep some for garnish), and stir.
- Add in Bulgur, and stir for 2 minutes then pour the 4 cups of boiling water over lentil-bulgur mixture, add 1 tsp. cumin salt and black pepper. Cover the pot again and allow to cook.
- Once the lentils/bulgur are done, turn the heat off, leave for 10 minutes. Serve Mujaddara in a plate and decorate with some onions on top.