Orange semolina cake
I looked around in my fridge to see what needs to be used most urgently and the oranges in the fruit bowl were waiting to be picked :) So I thought,when life gives you Oranges, ,make Orange cake! :)
The use of Candied Orange slices and fresh orange juice both have turn this simple cake into a thing of real vibrant beauty! I have used the whole Orange skin, flesh .
All the essential oils of an orange lies in the skin and it’s this intensity that we’re after. You only need to peel an orange for the aroma to fill the air. you may think the taste to be on the bitter side, but boiling the oranges whole in several changes of water removes all trace of bitterness. What’s left behind is softly orange flesh.
I’ve used flour, almond flour and semolina in this recipe, all of which boost the taste and texture even more! Most syrup-soaked cakes keep well and taste even more better the day after.
You can serve it with a cup of tea or a Turkish coffee,just lay back and enjoy every bite of this Orangy semolina cake :) A sweet aromatic notes of flavors all in one masterpiece!
So enough talking and let's jump in for the full recipe, Enjoy!
Orange Semolina cake
ألوصفة باللغة العربية اضغط هنا
2 whole oranges
140g (1 stick plus 2 tablespoons) butter, softened
1¼ cup castor sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup ground almonds
3/4 cup semolina soft powder
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1.5 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
300 ml fresh orange juice to soak the cake with.
- Place the 2 whole oranges in a large saucepan and fill with enough water to cover. Bring up to the boil, then drain and fill with new fresh water this step to remove the bitterness from the oranges. Then let boil for about 45 minutes until the oranges are completely soft.
- Drain and set aside to cool completely. Remove the hard ends, and slice . Place soft oranges slices in your food processor and blend until smooth puree .
- Preheat the oven to 170º C. Grease a bundt cake pan.
- Beat the butter, sugar and vanilla with a electric mixer until pale and creamy. Add the eggs one at a time beating well between each addition.
- Sift all dry ingredients together. Then add gradually the sifted flour mix to the creamed butter and whisk together just to combine well . Add the orange puree in 2 patches and beat until the batter is smooth.
- Transfer the batter to the baking pan, smooth the top and bake for about 55 minutes or until tested with tooth stick to be full cooked.
- Slowly pour the fresh orange juice over the hot cake waiting, wait for it to absorb all the juice . Let Cool in the pan ,then serve at room temperature with a cup of tea.
Bon Appétit :)
** Recipe adapted from http://www.bibbyskitchenat36.com