Baklava or Baklawa is one of the most famous and delicious Middle eastern sweets ,there are different variations of baklava shapes with various nuts fillings. All are basically made of phyllo dough stuffed with your choice of nuts,brushed with melted butter then baked and finally drizzled with generous amount of simple cold syrup.
Today,I choose to prepare baklava with pistachios and Ashta (thick table cream) and assemble those sweet rich crunchy treats in a nest like shape! and they really look so cute for me :)
I used Puck cream Ashta ,as I thought that ashta fillings goes very well with most of our Middle eastern desserts. If you’ve ever attempted to make your own baklava, you know well that the process of preparing baklava takes some time and precision. But believe me it worth it!
So, are you ready for some Baklava Goodness?! Here is the recipe,Enjoy!
الوصفة باللغة العربية هنا
Baklava nests with pistachio/Ashta filling
1 package of phyllo/fillo dough (15-20 sheets)
3/4 cup melted butter
1 cup ground pistachios
1 can of ready Ashta (thick table cream)
1 cup ready whipped cream(optional)
For simple syrup :
1.1/2 cups water 2 cups sugar 1 tbsp lemon juice
-To make the syrup, combine water with sugar in a medium-size saucepan. Boil the mixture for 5 minutes, then lower the heat and let simmer, uncovered, for about 30 minutes. Stir in the lemon juice into the syrup and set it cool a side.
- Preheat the oven to 180 C.
- Brush 2 baking pans with a little bit of melted butter.
- Cut each phyllo dough sheet into 4 square parts (15*15 cm) ,or into rectangles (16*21cm). And keep dough covered with a damp clean cloth so that it doesn’t dry out and get hard to work with.
- Take one dough sheet part on a clean working surface, spread 2 teaspoons or so of ground pistachios,and using a wooden stick wrap the dough around it to a cylindrical shape, leave 4cm at the end unwrapped.
- Push the 2 ends towards the inside to crumble it,take out the stick and bend the dough to form a circle. lay on buttered pan. Repeat process with all of phyllo dough.
- Brush each baklava nest with generous amount of melted butter, and bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes , then turn top-broiler on for another 10 min or until they are lightly golden brown, remove from the oven and while still hot drizzle each nest with some cold syrup and leave aside to cool completely.
- Mix Ashta with whipped cream and fill the center of each baklava nest with some ashta using pastry cream bag with star tip. Sprinkle some ground pistachios on top, drizzle with some syrup and serve. Bon Appétit :)