Rose syrup Mahalabia
Mahalabia or Muhalabia as spelled in Middle eastern countries is a sweetened flavored milk pudding which is a very popular dessert during the holy month of Ramadan.
Muhalabia is very easy to prepare, takes only a few time, and placed in the fridge to cool. It is served with a variety of nuts sprinkled on top. You can use whatever nuts you like or have on hand. I choose to sprinkle some ground pistachios on mine :)
As said,this is mainly a simple sweetened milk pudding ,however you can play around with flavors and kind of dairy used in the recipe, and that what I like about Muhalabia! Today my Muhalabia is prepared with 2 flavors : Concentrated Rose syrup drink (one of the popular drinks in Levant countries) ...the pinkish ones, and some flavored with vanilla (the white ones). I added Ashta ( a thick table cream from Puck) to the milk for more richer taste :) but the Ashta is optional.
Mahalabia can also be made a day ahead, chilled covered overnight to be served in a gathering or as soft delicate rich dessert after Iftar (fast break).
Here is the full recipe :) Enjoy!
الوصفة باللغة العربية هنا
Mahalabiya with Rose syrup
4 cups whole milk
1/2 cup sugar
6 Tablespoons corn starch
1/2 cup of Concentrated Rose Syrup drink**
170gm ready Ashta/thick table cream from Puck ,(Optional)
1 teaspoon rose water
1/3 cup ground pistachios for garnish
- In a heavy based medium saucepan combine milk,sugar,and corn starch. Mix well using a hand whisker . Add in rose syrup drink and Ashta, mix very well tell almost no clumps left.
- Transfer milk mixture to a medium heat, first stir for 3 minutes with a whisk to completely dissolve any clumps left. Then start using a wooden spoon or spatula to stir.
- Bring to boil over low-medium heat stirring occasionally until Mahalabia starts to thickens and get closer to a thick custard in consistency . (15 minutes), do not scrape the bottom of the pan as you are stirring.
- Turn off the heat, add rose water and stir .
- Pour Mahalabia in individual serving bowls/cups, and allow to cool for 10 minutes then place in the fridge covered with cling film to cool for at least 2 hours as It will thicken when cold.
- Before serving garnish with pistachios. Bon Appétit :)
* If You choose to prepare mahalabia with vanilla , just skip the rose syrup and rose water flavor, and use pure vanilla extract or vanilla beans.
*Ashta is optional , and for lighter version use skimmed milk