Ma'amoul (Middle eastern date-filled cookies)
Ma'amoul are a very famous kind of cookies in the middle eastern area,and usually are prepared in celebration of both Eid Al-Fiter and Eid Al-Adha. Ma'amoul are typically filled with different fillings and come with various shapes. They can be stuffed with ; date paste,ground flavored pistachios and ground walnuts that could be flavored with cinnamon.
Making ma'amoul is easy but it takes some time and little effort,but the result is amazing and your taste buds will be pleased ! :) and worth the effort. I choose to prepare my ma'moul using flour this time and kneading the dough with butter and Ashta! (Thick table cream). A soft cookie dough flavored with special ma'amoul mix spices(cinnamon,anise,and fennel) which gives those cookies a very distinguish aromatic notes of flavors! :)
These cookies are easiest to decorate using a ma’amoul wooden molds (which can be purchased at Middle Eastern grocery stores),but another way to decorate(which I prefer) is to use decorative pinch to create a very beautiful designs :)
Ma'amoul will keep nicely for up to a month if stored in an airtight container at room temperature. You can enjoy these delicious cookies with either a cup of tea or Turkish coffee in family gathering or as a delicate soft treats served for guests during Eid :)
Let's go for the recipe now, Enjoy! :)
الوصفة باللغة العربية اضغط هنا
3 cups of sifted flour
1 cup soft butter
1/2 cup sugar powder sifted
1/2 cup milk powder
3 Tablespoons corn flour
1 can (170gm) Ashta (Thick table cream from Puck)
1/2 teaspoon Ma'amoul mix spices.
1 teaspoon Baking powder.
For Date Filling :
400 gm soft date paste
1 tablespoon melted butter
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- First to prepare the filling mix all ingredients using your hand to get a soft date paste, form roughly 40 balls, place on a large plate and cover with plastic wrap and set aside.
- To prepare the dough, in a medium mixing bowl using electric mixer with the K-shape beater, beat soft butter with sugar till you get a cream soft mixture.
- Add in milk powder and keep mixing,add Ashta, the corn flour, baking powder,spice mix and continue mixing well to get a homogeneous mixture.
- Gradually add in flour and mix just until a soft dough is formed.Don't over mix at this step.Use your hands to form a dough ball then cover with plastic wrap and chill for 10 minutes.
- Preheat your oven at 180C, and prepare an oven baking pan with a baking sheet,set a side.
- Divide the chilled dough into 40 even balls or portions, take a ball and flatten with the palms of your hands. Place a date ball in the middle, bring the edges of the dough together and roll again into a ball then flatten to form a short cylinder. Using you finger poke a hole in the middle of the cookie. Smooth the edges and use a decorative pinch to create a design. place the cookie on the baking pan .Repeat with all dough balls.
- Let cookes chilled for 5-7 minutes, then bake in preheated oven until golden brown around the edges, then turn on top broiler and bake for another 5 minutes until lightly golden in color. Let cool completely then serve in a serving plate.
Bon Appétit :)
* Recipe adapted from a sweet friend Reemas Ghassan