Oreshki "Russian walnut-shaped cookies"
Oreshki are very well known as smooth shortbread , walnut shaped Russian cookies. They are a very popular Russian treats, baked during holidays and special occasions.
In Russian "oreshki" means walnuts. They are traditionally made in a special mold that is called "oreshnitsa", and after baked they are filled with caramel or dulce de leche :)
Oreshki often require a special skillet/mold ,but I used a waffle maker that has 3 different shape attachments and one of them was the walnut cookie shape.
Cookies are golden in color, crispy made of two components that are awesome together which are : short crust cookies and caramel! falling in love with the first bite!
Oreshki Russian Cookies
1 tbsp vanilla
200g of unsalted butter at room temperature
1 cup powdered sugar
2.5 cups plain flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1 cup corn flour
1 can of caramel
- In a bowl Sift together: plain flour,corn flour, and baking powder. Mix with a whisk, set a side.
- In a bowl of electric mixer with whisk attachment whisk the eggs ,vanilla and soft butter altogether very well for 1 minute.
- Change the whisk with the K shaped attachment and start adding in gradually a little pit of the flour mixture and beat after each addition until a dough formed and comes together. Don't over mix.
-Mix with hands until it forms a chunky soft dough. Divide the dough into 2 parts, cover and chill for 5 minutes
- Take one part of the dough and cut and roll into small equal balls, around 6-7g in weight.
- I am using a waffle maker with a special shape cookie attachment to cook them in. - Cook them for 2-3 min until they are done and have a light golden color.
- Repeat the process with all dough balls, until all of them are done. Some will have edges that you will need to trim. Leave cookies to cool down completely.
- Add half a tsp of caramel inside each half and glue them together. Set the aside to set completely then put on a serving plate and enjoy! :)